Dom is a graphic designer and creates much of Khedrubje Centre’s publicity. He loves his cat Momo.
1) What do you like best about coming to class?
The way that I feel after class is easily the best part. I always feel as if I have accomplished something worthwhile.
2) How would you explain the benefits of meditation to someone new?
I would use a bit of an analogy. If we want to get slim or build muscle we need to go to the gym and get to know our bodies really well. Meditation is like the gym for the mind. By meditating regularly we will most certainly have a fit and healthy mind.
3) Has there been an aspect of Buddhism or meditation that has really struck a chord with you?
I would say equanimity. Viewing all living beings as equal and going through the same sufferings helped me experience compassion and got me hooked on Buddhism.
4) Has meditation changed your relationships, and if so, how?
Meditation has helped me develop and maintain patience. When I have patience I feel like all my relationships are happy and strong, with excellent communication. What more could you ask for!?
5) Do you have a favourite Buddhist teaching?
I really enjoy the teachings that give me a good visual image. For example, the advice that Atisha received from Tara that said: “If you become attached to your kingdom you will be like an elephant when he sinks into mud and cannot lift himself out again because he is so huge and heavy. Do not become attached to this life.”
6) Do you feel that Buddhism has something to offer the world today?
I think that Buddhism will always have something to offer. This is due to it’s teachings being based on wisdom and sincere practice, and not ignorance or trend.
7) Do you have a favourite quote from one of Geshe Kelsang’s books?
All Venerable Geshe-la’s quotes are valuable and I try to have equanimity for them all.
8) Have people noticed a difference in you since you started meditating?
Pretty much everyone in my life has noticed me become more peaceful and focused. I am sure I am much easier to be around too. I also find that it’s easier for me to be around my mind and it’s thoughts.
9) Can you use 3 words to describe the benefits of meditation?
Peace, strength, virtue.